Thursday, May 9, 2013

Boycott Abercrombie & Fitch...they ONLY want cool, skinny, beautiful, perfect people wearing their clothes.

One thing I love about today's designers and clothing lines is everyone can be fashionable and feel beautiful.  Fashion shouldn't be limited to size. There are women who have amazing style at a size two and there are women who have amazing style at a size 18.... but Abercrombie & Fitch only wants small, beautiful, and cool people wearing their clothes. They don't want plus size women wearing their clothes or shopping in their store. Newsflash, Abercrombie... YOU haven't been "cool" since the 90's. 

According to Abercrombie their only target is the "in" crowd and according to CEO Mike Jeffries, plus size women will never be in the "in" crowd. 




Sad. I think Adele is in the "in" croud. Who is Mike Jeffries?


In a 2006 interview with Salon, Jeffries confirmed that the communication between hot people is his primary marketing tactic.
“It’s almost everything. That’s why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people. We don’t market to anyone other than that,” he said.

Read the rest of the article: Read here !!

I think that's a terrible message to put out there and I think it's a brand that represents discrimination on many levels. Abercombie is targeted towards teenagers and what this bone head forgot is most teenagers cannot afford a $70 tee shirt thus making their target consumer parents! This was a bad and tasteless thing to do. 
Mark my words, I will never step foot in Abercombie again... not that I have since 1998 anyway, when I figured out their clothes really weren't all that cool. 

How does that article resonate with you? Do you think it's awful? Do you think it's acceptable? Does it bother you? Will you still buy their clothes? I'm curious to hear YOUR opinion on it whatever it may be. 




6 comments:

Maris said...

I think it is horrible and I am glad that people are acting up on it. I think that Mike should revaluate his looks before judging others. That being said he really flushed his company with that statement.

Sarah Bella said...

He sure does. I looked his picture up and thought that was a pretty bold move... seeing as, well, google him. He has no right to make those statements (NOBODY does) but by looks of it... him especially. It's cruel and mean what he did.

Sarah Bella said...

He sure does. I looked his picture up and thought that was a pretty bold move... seeing as, well, google him. He has no right to make those statements (NOBODY does) but by looks of it... him especially. It's cruel and mean what he did.

Heather Davern Makeup said...

Wow what idiotic and damaging statements. Maybe all that plastic surgery went to his head!

floraonly said...

Will you be making more youtube videos Sarah, please do!

Blaine Peters said...

I'm reaaaaally late to this conversation but this blog resonated with me as the mother of a 12 yo girl. I also never thought A&F was all that but did overpay for a few things in my 20s. Their ads are way too provocative for their young demographic. Paraphrasing Jimmy Kimmel "I thought they were selling scantily clad teenagers".